The 2023 Assembly Election Results are in, and it appears that Tripura will have more national resonance compared to Meghalaya and Nagaland.
The highly-anticipated assembly election results for Tripura, Meghalaya, and Nagaland have commenced after months of vigorous campaigning. The Bharatiya Janata Party is seeking to strengthen its presence in Tripura, a former Left stronghold that the party had conquered in 2018, with most exit polls predicting a BJP victory.
In the early trends, the BJP is leading, although the Left and its ally Congress have also made a strong start in Tripura. Chief Minister Manik Saha is currently in the lead for the Town Bordowali seat after the first round of vote counting.
Out of the three states, Tripura’s election promises to have more national significance as the Congress and the Left, who are traditional rivals, have formed an alliance for the first time to challenge the BJP’s hold on the 60-member meghalaya assembly election 2023.
Live Election Results 2023 Updates: BJP past halfway mark
nagaland election 2023 Former Meghalaya Chief Minister and TMC leader, Mukul Sangma, is facing a challenging battle in his home constituency of Songsak. As of now, he is leading by a narrow margin of only 165 votes against Nihim Shira of the National People’s Party (NPP). It is important to note that Sangma is running for two seats in the assembly elections. However, he is trailing by a significant margin in the other constituency of Tikrikilla.
Meghalaya’s Chief Minister, Conrad Sangma, has stated that his party is still lacking a few seats to obtain a majority in the assembly. He further added that he will make a decision regarding the next course of action after the final outcome of the election.
Meanwhile, in other developments, the Meghalaya Assembly Speaker, Metbah Lyngdoh, from UDP (United Democratic Party), has emerged victorious in the Mairang constituency, winning by a margin of 155 votes.
In addition, HSPDP’s (Hill State People’s Democratic Party) Shakliar Warjri has defeated cabinet minister Brolding Nongsiej in the Mawthadraishan constituency, winning by a significant margin of 2,353 votes.
Top 10 points on Tripura, Meghalaya, Nagaland election results 2023:
- Early trends from the Tripura postal ballot show BJP leading in 39 seats, Left and Congress leading in 15 seats, and TIPRA Motha leading in 5 seats. Sudip Roy Barman of Congress is leading in Agartala against BJP’s Papia Dutta.
- Kiran Gitte, CEO of Tripura, stated that postal ballot count is ongoing and expected to be over by 10am. EVMs are being counted simultaneously, and trends after the first round of counting will be available soon.
- In Meghalaya, NPP is leading in 18 seats, Trinamool Congress in 12 seats, and BJP in 9 seats according to early trends.
- In Nagaland, NDPP and its allies are leading in 50 seats, while NPF is leading in 3 seats. Counting of votes is taking place under tight security.
- Tripura: Surajit Datta of BJP is leading in Ramnagar seat.
- Meghalaya: Nikman Marak of Garo National Council is leading NPP’s Sengchim Sangma in Chokpot seat, TMC’s Cherak Momin is leading NPP’s Rupert Momin in Kharkutta, Timothy Shira of NPP is leading in Resubelpara, TMC’s Rajesh Marak is leading in Rongara Siju, Congress is leading in Pabiacherra seat, Mukul Sangma of TMC is leading in Songsak, Zenith Sangma of TMC is trailing in Rangsakona, and Miani Shira of TMC is leading in Ampatti.
- Tripura voted on February 16, and the Pradyot Debbarma-led TIPRA Motha has emerged as an X-factor due to his influence among the tribal population.
- In the 2018 assembly election, BJP won 36 seats and IPFT won 8 seats. With IPFT in decline, BJP shoulders the burden of delivering a majority as its two main rivals have united.
- Meghalaya and Nagaland voted on February 27. While regional parties remain bigger players, BJP ran a determined campaign to expand its footprints with the presence of bigwigs like Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union home minister Amit Shah in the states.
- BJP fought on all 60 seats in Meghalaya for the first time, targeting NPP leader Conrad Sangma for running the “most corrupt” state government. In Nagaland, BJP is fighting in alliance with NDPP, where all parties with a presence in the 60-member assembly backed the NDPP-led government.
Big setback for Congress in Meghalaya assembly election 2023
- Congress is losing ground in Meghalaya, leading on only 5 seats, 16 less than in the 2018 election.
- The National People’s Party (NPP), led by CM Conrad Sangma, is leading with 20+ seats.
- Congress President Kharge suggests that many northeast leaders support Congress and other secular parties.
- Former CM Mukul Sangma is leading in the Songsak constituency.
- There is a close contest between Conrad Sangma and BJP’s Bernard N Mark in South Tura.
- Official trends show NPP leading on 11 seats, United Democratic Party on 4, BJP and Congress on 3 each, and Trinamool Congress on 2.
- CM Conrad Sangma, along with family members, visited the grave of his father and former CM, PA Sangma in Tura.
- Exit polls predicted 18-26 seats for NPP, 6-12 seats for BJP and Congress, and 8-12 seats for United Democratic Party.
- India Today-Axis My India predicted 18-24 seats for NPP, 5-9 for Trinamool Congress, 4-8 for BJP, 6-12 for Congress, and 8-12 for United Democratic Party.
The National People’s Party (NPP), led by incumbent Chief Minister Conrad Sangma, has emerged as the largest party with over 20 seats. The Congress party, which has ruled the state for decades, is leading on only 5 seats.
The Leader of the Opposition and former CM Mukul Sangma is leading from the Songsak constituency.
Election Results Tripura As per the official trends, the NPP is leading on 11 seats, United Democratic Party is ahead on 4 seats, BJP and Congress leading on 3 seats each, and the All India Trinamool Congress is leading on 2 seats.
Polls have predicted the highest number of seats for Conrad Sangma’s NPP, with a range of 18-26 seats. BJP and Congress were projected to win 6-12 seats.
nagaland election 2023 According to Kharge, many leaders in the northeast are committed to national politics and support Congress, secular parties, democracy, and the constitution. He feels that Congress, with the alliance, should come forward to form the government.